Thanks To Sen. McConnell, Billions In Relief Lifts Every Corner Of Kentucky

As our nation grapples with the impacts of the coronavirus pandemic, Senator Mitch McConnell has worked to ensure Kentucky has the resources necessary to fight against this terrible disease.

Last month, Senator McConnell led the passage of the largest economic rescue package in American history, the CARES Act, which totals $2.2 trillion in aid for the nation. He recently announced that Kentucky families, workers, hospitals, and businesses will receive more than $2.7 billion in relief funds to combat this virus with even more to come for states and local communities across the United States.

In case you missed it, here is where coronavirus relief aid is going across Kentucky:

Nearly $11.7 Million to Serve Seniors and Kentuckians with Disabilities

“Kentucky will receive nearly $11.7 million in federal funding to help meet the needs of older adults and people with disabilities during the coronavirus outbreak.” (WTVQ, 4/26/2020)

  • “The Kentucky Center for Accessible Living and the Kentucky Disability Resource Center will receive a large portion of the money, and the rest will go to the state’s efforts to slow the spread of the virus.” (WDRB, 4/26/2020)
  • “These federal resources can be used for home-delivered meals, in-home care services, respite care and other support for families and caregivers.” (KFVS, 4/26/2020)

Millions to Support 46 Rural Hospitals

“[T]he University of Kentucky Center of Excellence in Rural Health will receive nearly $4 million to support 46 rural hospitals in combating the coronavirus pandemic.” (WLKY, 4/25/2020)

Help for Kentucky Schools. Students, and Childcare Centers

“[T]he federal CARES Act will provide at least $156 million in relief funds this year to Kentucky colleges and universities, including $78 million to help students with expenses related to disruptions to their education during the COVID-19 outbreak. In addition, another $43,799,187 from the U.S. Department of Education will help meet students’ and institutions’ needs through the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief Fund[.]” (WTVQ, 4/15/2020)

  • “Of the $156 million headed to Kentucky, half is earmarked to assist students with emergency needs like technology expenses, food, housing and childcare as a result of the pandemic.” (WTVQ, 4/15/2020)
  • Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education President Dr. Aaron Thompson: “Higher education is critical to our state’s economic recovery, and these funds will help campuses target aid to where it’s needed most. We are grateful to our federal partners for providing swift relief and for recognizing our unique mission in the months to come, particularly in workforce development and health care.”

“CARES Act to provide $193 million for Kentucky school districts” (Kentucky Today, 4/27/2020)

  • “[T]he Kentucky Department of Education will distribute 90 percent of these funds to local schools to help students continue learning in remote settings. The remaining 10 percent can be used to address specific needs related to the pandemic.” (Kentucky Today, 4/27/2020)

“The first round of funding for child care providers […] is headed to Kentucky. The $67.74 million in federal funding, delivered through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families, was made available by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.” (WTVQ, 4/14/2020)

$77 Million for Kentucky Airports

“Airports across Kentucky to receive federal funding” (WPSD, 4/14/2020)

“Fifty-five Kentucky airports will receive $77.2 million from the Federal Aviation Administration through the Airport Improvement Program, with federal funding being made available through the CARES Act” (Courier Journal, 4/14/2020)

  • “The Paducah airport will receive $1,086,134 in grant funds, which come through the Federal Aviation Administration’s Airport Improvement Program.” (Paducah Sun, 4/14/2020)
  • “U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell’s office announced that 55 airports throughout the commonwealth will receive $77.2 million in federal funding with Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport receiving more than $1 million.” (Messenger-Inquirer, 4/15/2020)

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport CEO Candace McGraw: “I am truly grateful for the leadership of Senator Mitch McConnell to include airport funding in the CARES Act, which is providing necessary economic relief to many struggling industries and families in Kentucky and across the country.”

“[Blue Grass Airport Executive Director Eric] Frankl thanked McConnell for his ‘significant role in passing an economic rescue package that makes it possible for us to continue to operate the airport during these unprecedented times.’” (Herald-Leader, 4/15/2020)