Lie: Senator McConnell has voted against veterans.
- Senator McConnell has led Congressional efforts to pressure the VA to reduce its backlog of pending claims. This year, he made personal appeals to former VA Secretary Shinseki.
- Mitch supports tax credits that encourage businesses to hire veterans.
- Senator McConnell has repeatedly introduced a bill that would improve the quality of care for veterans at contractor-run veterans' health clinics.
- Senator McConnell supported the Restoring G.I. Bill Fairness Act of 2011, which included an increase in the amount payable for education programs at nonpublic higher education institutions. He also backed the post-9/11 G.I. Bill 2.0, which expanded eligibility and coverage to vocational schools, distance learning, multiple certification tests, and full tuition at any public school.
- In 2008, Senator McConnell supported the Military Voting Protection Act, which aims to improve the collection and delivery of absentee ballots for overseas troops.
- In 2007, Mitch introduced Wounded Warrior legislation after it was blocked by Majority Leader Harry Reid. He successfully added an amendment that secured a 3.5% military pay increase.
- Mitch supported to the Military Family Tax Relief Act of 2003, which made the death gratuity payment tax free.
- Senator McConnell secured $75 million for the construction of the Robley Rex VA Medical Center in Louisville.
- Mitch helped secure $190 million to help states build facilities to provide care for veterans. He also helped secure $50 million for the construction of state-run veterans' cemeteries.